High blood pressure (HBP or hypertension) is when your blood pressure, the force of the blood flowing through your blood vessels, is consistently too high.If you have high blood pressure, you are not alone
- About 85 million Americans — one out of every three adults over age 20 — have high blood pressure. (Nearly one of out six don’t even know they have it.)
- The best way to know if you have high blood pressure it is to have your blood pressure checked.
Learn about checking your blood pressure numbers and what they mean.
- Most of the time there are no obvious symptoms.
- Certain physical traits and lifestyle choices can put you at a greater risk for developing high blood pressure.
- When left untreated, the damage that high blood pressure does to your circulatory system is a significant contributing factor to heart attack, stroke and other health threats.
- While there is no cure for high blood pressure, with proper treatment and management, you can live a long and healthy life.
- An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.